AHHHHHH the mosquitoes are eating me alive.

There is just nothing to do about the mosquitoes. They are simply a part of live here. But they drive you nuts. For some reason they just LOVE Ruben. We will sit on the sofa together and he will have 4 or 5 on his leg and only 1 or 2 on mine. That sucks for him. He is sort of crazy about them. Sometimes I will wake up in the middle of the night with my little mosquito hunter husband stalking the night looking for the little fu**ers. It is sort of funny. Until you are covered with bites. AHHHH they drive you nuts.

Cockroaches are simply a part of life too. In the states it was a sign of a dirty place or something but here... there is simply nothing you can do. My friends that live in Cancun have told me that it is probably an open water drain in the house somewhere. Then we saw the path that they take. The back our house is up against the tropical rain forest. With the beautiful sounds of birds, the fun look out for monkeys and the wonderful sounds of the various type of leaves hitting each other comes all the inhabitants of the jungle.

These cockroaches live in the jungle and they can fly. What the Fu**. That is just not right. What is worse is the fact that I have totally lost my "AHHHH COCKROACH!! Akilean... come here" response. Now it is just like... stand up calmly, go and get the spray and spray it. No big deal. I am not thrilled that I am at that point but what are you going to do. I would rather have the rain forest with the cockroaches then no rain forest. :)

8 comments:

JJ said...

ABSOLUTELY. HATE. THE COCKROACHES. I was lucky to really only have a handful of them in my depto in Cancun, and I never got to the point where you are. I never will. I'm still struggling with the idea of a God that would allow those things to fly on top of everything else. Hijole..

Steve Cotton said...

Mine show up in the garage area. I had about 20 the other night. But I am faster than they are. The Florida Stomp still works. So far, only one has escaped, though several have tried running across my feet to get away. Doesn't bother me. They are going to die. The bats here love catching them in flight. Makes a great meal -- for a bat.

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

Steve- I am glad you specified for the bat. :) Although my grandma told me never to step on them because it spreads their eggs. I do not know if it is true or not. I have a clear mental images of you hopping around your garage!

Joyce- I know and can you believe that they are the only creature that would likely survive a nuclear attack. Crazy. Who is the supreme being.

Chrissy y Keith said...

Crap! I hate roaches too and just so you dont think that the jungle is the only place they enjoy, I find them in our 20 story "A" space highrise in Phoenix. So rain forest or no, God ,must have a reason for this nasty critters. As far as the mosquitoes, I have had good luck bathing with Zote soap. It might be worth a try.

ElleCancun said...

Hahaha - I only scream if they fly out of some place. That's why I have to be extra careful when spraying into an area as one time 8 or so flew out at me!! Que horrible!!!

Leslie Harris said...

Me and mosquitos do not get along. When I first moved to Mexico, I was literally attacked by them. After our first night in Mexico, I had atleast 50 mosquito bites on my feet. Everyone in the family joked that the mosquitos were enjoying American food! Even today, the mosquitos prefer me to my hubby. The other night I woke Hubby at about 2 am asking him to kill the mosquitos. I had 13 mosquito bites on my right arm! AAHHH! I don't like the smell, but we use the Raid or Baygon plug-in thingamajigs.

You have the jungle and roaches to worry about, I have a big empty lot behind my house and a kitchen and drain pipes that weren't well built. So I get some roaches and during the rain season I get rats. 2 years in a row, we have been greeted by a huge rat in our toilet! Makes a person not want to use the bathroom at 3 am.

CancunCanuck said...

Have you tried the Raid plug ins for the mosquitoes? They work for us and smell kind of purty. Cats help with roaches, lol! We only get one or two a year, our next door neighbour is an exterminator so he takes care of the yard around us and sprays us twice a year. There are also cleaning supplies with bug repellent in them. Citronella candles, the Raid coils, anything to stop the little buggers from biting!

We don't squish the roaches either, I have also heard that it spreads the eggs. I let Hubby deal with them and sweep them outside or into the garbage or toilet, though usually the cats get to them first. The flying part is insane, isn't it? :)

Frankly Ronda said...

Great post. You are a real trooper!

Leslie's comment about the rat in the toilet is disturbing ...

Design by Blogger Templates