Call off the FBI- I am here!!!

Well, it has been a very interesting past few weeks. But before I get into the catch up and where the hell we disappeared to let me first say... Yes we are safe, fine happy and living in a small Mexican Caribbean town.  I dropped out of circulation for a week and my family got really freaked out. I am so sorry for causing concern.  But there is one thing that gave me a good laugh once all the calls where done.  Right on my FB info page is my Mexican cell phone number.  Again I am sorry for any scare.  We are just fine.  Better then that in fact.

Well, I quit my job.  They were willing to work with me on the part  days but there is a big problem.  I need 4 things to be in place for me to work, 1) school open 2) kids not sick 3) My friend picking them up 4)my babysitter.  If 1 of those things is not there (and that happens frequently) I have to run around and stress out about who is going to watch my kids.  And that is the life we ha in the USA and I live in Tulum, Mexico.  I do not need to be living that life here.  So with a little sadness but knowing it is the right thing I have quit the jungle tour. 


But this means I have to get going with Tulum Living.  And I have found what I want to do.  I am making a calendar of Tulum.  All of the Happy hours, live music, dj parties, yoga classes, community service projects etc all on one calendar.  This is leading into my really big project ... The Tulum Living School Project.

We have designed a 3 part community service project for the schools here in Tulum. 
1) Community: pulls together donations from locals, businesses, tourists and the online community to buy each school their big need. (most of these projects are between $5,000-7,000 dollars.)

2) School: as part of the donation we will get them recycling containers and set up regular pick up (our recycling center in Tulum is open again)

3) Kids: after school 1 afternoon the kids will walk the streets and pick up the garbage separating out recycling.  After the street clean the kids will be treated to a pizza/ice cream party. 

I used to work with Women for Children for  Doernbecher Children's Hospital and I remember my mom telling me that amazing things can get done by people who are willing to put in the time and get organized.  Well, I see a huge need and a huge community of people who are willing to help.  It was actually the kindness I received after the kids bikes that told me to kick this into gear.  I have friends willing to help pay for my kids bikes.  And while that is so sweet- we did get them new bikes- it took all our money which is why our cable and elec got shut off but it was totally worth it.  But anyway.  It showed me that there are people in the world who would love to donate to this project and these are not HUGE projects. 

Anyway.  There will be more on that later.

So I will update more about all the specific fun we have been having but let me say we have been having a great time.  I better go.  My internet was turned on yesterday and I have sooooooo much writing to do.

I am so glad to be back. 

7 comments:

Paula said...

whendueOK..we called off the FBI, but wow that was scary! Glad to hear the kids got the new bikes.Now you will have more time to write. I will give you a call later today....glad to hear you are ok
love you
Mom

Paula said...

whendueOK? don't know what that means or why I typed that! I will chalk it up to "not quite awake"

Samantha said...

I'm happy everything is alright! and the kiddos got bikes! :) hope they also got locks and chains- unfortunately so they don't walk away again! :(

bordersaside said...

You always impress me and motivate me. How great that you are doing these projects, and they are so needed in Mexico. Glad your getting to stay home with your kids again.

Refried Dreamer said...

Wow. You are amazing. word.

Chrissy y Keith said...

is there a Rotary Club there? if so, then contact them and volunteer to do a presnetation for "Tulum Living" they meet weekly and are always looking for guest speakers. There is always a good chance that a Rotary Member from Cnanda or USA will be ther and take you information back to their club. Clubs have money to donate to projects that fit the Rotary cause. I was a Rotarian for years. Once we visited a club in Colima and now the Juneau Rotary Club supports a project there now and it has been on going for at least 10 years.

Steve Cotton said...

Nice to see you back. As you will see tomorrow, I am just about done with jungle tours myself.

Design by Blogger Templates