Valentine's Day and a little annoyed- stop being so jaded ladies!

Well we just had our Valentine's Day- and it happened to fall on Sunday when Ruben and I both did not work.  I have never been really huge on this day.  I mean- I am not one of those jaded people who sit back and pass a bunch of judgement - "you should show love everyday" kind of girls.  I do think that it is nice that there is a day out there - however commercial that remind people to celebrate to positive sides of relationships.  Let's face it- there are a lot of men and women out there who are not the romantic show your feelings everyday sort of people and this day in February is one when people are reminded to show a little extra- to offer a reminder- and to give that romantic opportunity to those in relationships.  On the flip side- yes it is commercial and over done and a very Hallmark holiday.  But stop being so flipping jaded. 

I have never heard of anything so stupid as a person dismissing a wonderful gesture from the one that loves them as a commercial ploy that they did not want to do.  How belittling do you need to be to the one you love? 

Having said that- I have made it clear to Ruben that flowers and jewelry are not needed- especially on a day when they cost so much more.  But I do love that we take a little extra time this day to make the people we care about feel special.

We had a very simple holiday.  Our 9 year anniversary is coming up next month so we kept it low key- In fact we both forgot until the day itself!  I woke up with the kids and he was sleeping- "Oh- Shit it is V-day!"  I headed to the kitchen to make breakfast.  Breakfast is big for us on special days- well on any day really- Ruben gets more breakfast in bed then any man I have ever met.  Last year we all had a wonderful fondue breakfast.  This year I made pancakes- of course I made them pink and heart shaped.   The first few mangos have arrived and so I got 2 to put on top- yummy.


Lena made me the cutest card.  She had me write it and told me what to say. It was so cute. "mommy, I love you.  You are a beautiful girl.  I love you because you are my mom.  You say I can play for 10 and 20 more minutes and I like that. I love you."  I could have just died.  She has gotten into the folding of notes now.  She is learning all the ways to fold notes to pass.  Ahh- I remember the day. 

Ruben then left for a minute and I was thinking that he was doing the "oh shit- I have to run and get Mindy something."  But he really surprised me.  He had commissioned a artists friend of ours to do a piece for me and he went to go and get it.  I love it when he plans ahead- Just that he remembered is really special.  

Now I have always been the hippie and my hubby the gangster.  Obviously in the context of normal living but when you break it down those are our basic personalities.  I know - strange right.  but that is who we are.  He has always been opened minded and "okay baby" about my beliefs.  That is why it was so nice when he gave me my gift.  It was a beautiful  amethyst crystal wrapped in black coral.  The best part was when Ruben said that he thought it would be perfect for my table during my readings.  Something to help the energy.  I thought that was so sweet.  It is beautiful and I love it. 

We spent the rest of the day just watching tv and movies and hanging out with the kids.  I hope that everyone had a nice day- if only for the reason that it was Sunday.  And all of you jaded people saying the whole day is just a crock. Lighten up - be jaded another day- mayben Christmas.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

Well, I'm one of those "love everyday kind of girls" but I can tell you I don't feel jaded nor do I pass judgement on those who choose to make a big show/or just Celebrate V-day.
Sounds like you guys had a great Celebration. :)

Refried Dreamer said...

I love it!!!What a perfect valentine's day!

Mama of 4 said...

Cool pink pancakes! I am one of those that loves to celebrate V-Day by going out to dinner or something special.

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

I like to have a little of both. Some years it is the really nice dinner all dressed up- other years it is fried chicken tacos at home. And I think a lot of people forget that it is not about just your boyfriend/husband or wife- but showing other people that you care about that you love them.

I have so many friends that are so annoyed at V-day and start bitching at the moment I take out my valentine to give them. But atleast almost everyone- although jaded lit up like a school kid when they got their valentine- if only from a friend. :)

bordersaside said...

Love it and it sounds like you had a great day. We see Valintines day as a day to remind us to tell those we love that we love them. Because honestly I don't tell his mom every day, stuff like that. Alana wanted to make three cards this year one for papi, Abuela, and her baby sister, I was so glad she wanted to make one for the baby it was great. Issac and I had a romantic night after the girls went to bed with cheap wine and chocolate, hey any excuse for romance and wine I will accept. ;)

Anonymous said...

Sweet pancake idea! Will have to remember this.

What a lovely family you have!

Linda
Isla Chica

Design by Blogger Templates