My grandmother is dying

It has finally come to begin that my grandma will be leaving this lifetime and beginning her next cycle of life. it is strange that no matter how much we have prepared for something like this, how much it hits us. My grandmother just celebrated her 80th birthday.

I remember back in Feb. 1998 when I got the call from my oldest brother Craig. I could tell from his voice that something was not right. I mean, my brother - at that time in our lives - calling me at all alerted me to disaster. I prepared myself in that one breath to hear that my grandma had died. My grandmother had failing health for years and she smoked like a fiend since she was like 12. You can imagine the cartoon image of my jaw slamming to the floor when I heard that it was my grandfather that had died.

I had not prepared for that possibility at all. For some childish immature reason it just never dawned on me. I never saw him very sick.

Over the next many years my grandma went back and forth in health. I got to spend a lot of time with her because I was no only living a few hours away in San Francisco. For the next 10 years my grandma championed on. I am so proud of how much and how hard she fights and is still fighting today. For now.

She always finds such joy in the little things. Antiques and rummage sales were a favorite. She does have a crazy knowledge of glass and ceramics. When and by whom things were done or reflective of. She could tell what was in fact a real treasure under years of tarnish and she just loves finding it. I love calling her and asking her what to use on certain stains or silver and such. Just today I needed to polish Ruben's sommelier tasting cup he wears around his neck and I wanted to call her and talk to her. I thought hard and then remembered, if she were able to speak she would tell me to use toothpaste. I remember that now. It looks beautiful.

I remember 1 time I went to an antique store with her in one of her favorite little areas of treasure and I found this beautiful hutch desk with an intricate carving of Japanese figures and cherry blossom trees. It had a fold down top and 3 drawers. It was so beautiful. It was the first piece of real furniture I had ever bought. I paid $300 for it and I love it. When we opened it up to get a better look we found a receipt for June 1967 for some florist in Michigan I think - it was for 6 corsages and 4 boutonnieres. I thought probably for a wedding. I still have that receipt in the desk.

There are stories behind everything in Grandma's house. Whether how she got it or where it came from. And there is a ton of beauty and some quirky stuff. I got to have such a wonderful visit with her when I was in the USA in April. I went over for 5 days and it was just her and me. It was great.

My grandma has the most beautiful garden. My grandpa had always loved gardening and my grandma really did a beautiful job after my grandpa died. I already miss seeing it and I was just there.

Grandma, I miss you and love you and hope that you are peaceful and comfortable. I will see you soon.

9 comments:

Frankly Ronda said...

My thoughts are with you. Sounds like you are a lucky grand daughter to have had her in your life.

Nancy said...

I like your attitude with telling her you'll see her later.

And I think you were BOTH lucky!

Samantha said...

I wish I had the chance to meet her... she sounds like a very special lady. =(

Leslie Harris said...

My thoughts and prayers are also with you. I went through the same thing 2 years ago when my grandfather passed away. You are both very lucky to have had a chance to spend some time with eachother.

Chrissy y Keith said...

Our prayers are with you and the family. My Grandmother is 93 and have recovered from a stoke 3 years ago. Hopefully your Grandma will rebound, but if not you will see her again.

paula said...

Honey...you were very special to her.....being the only grand daughter she had a very special place in her heart for you
love you
mom

Mama of 4 said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma. Your family will be in my prayers.

Brian said...

Mindy, I'm sorry for your loss. I know how much she meant to you. I'll keep her and you in my prayers.

Brian

ElleCancun said...

I offer my condolences...

I am very fortunate both sets of grandparents are alive and well... This being a reason I'm taking a trip with my grandma next month to Europe and visit our heritage together....

Family is so special, my thoughts and prayers are with you both...

Design by Blogger Templates