Tulum Living School Project in full swing

I finally all of the pieces in place to move forward full force with my school project.  I have been putting thing project together for a while now and I am so excited about it.  I have written more on it on my Tulum Living page but have also mentioned it here. 

Having kids in school here in Tulum has been a bit of a love/hate relationship.  I am so thankful for education but know that there are so many things that are missing or lacking.  I know that it is not the same all throughout Mexico.  Some of the problems are but some are also because I chose to live a in a much smaller community. 

I have seen though that the schools here are in desperate need of certain things.  I call it their big "quiero"  Their big "want"  This is the thing that is too big for us parents to ever be able to pay for but too small for the gov't to fix.  I also want to increase the awareness of recycling to the children of the area.  That is where permanent changes will be made.

So here is the project.  This is  a 3 part project involving  Community- The School- and The Kids!!!!    We go to each school and find out what their quiero is.  As a community we work to raise money for the project.  As part of the donation we will also be buying recycling containers.  For their part, the school must commit to regular recycling pickups and recycling education.  The kids must also participate in a street cleaning day - seperating the trash into recyclables and garbage.  The kids will then be rewarded with a cake and ice cream party.

We are so lucky to have a recycling center here in Tulum and it is up and running again.  YEAH!!!!  If you would like to donate, please click the donate button.  All of the money donated (minus the fee that paypal charges) will go towards the project.  Tulum Living will cover all other expenses.  

Most of these project are between 4,000 and 6,000 dollars.  Yes that is a lot of money but it is not an impossible amount to raise. 

our first project: Hurricanes Kinder.   They are in desperate need of a lunch palapa and some picnic style benches.  They also want a smaller palapa over the playground equipment.  Could you imagine going to play at 5 years old in the hot Mexican sun and the playground is scorching metal?  Not fun. 

Please keep track of our progress.  If you are in the area and want to meet up or help, please contact us. 


I am so excited!!!!!

3 comments:

One Small Voz said...

Congratulations on another great endeavor! I wish I could find some worthwhile projects to get involved with here in Veracruz, but the size of the city and the nonchalant views of most of the people concerning such things can be defeating. Maybe one of these days I will find an opportunity. Best of luck with yours :-)

bordersaside said...

What a great thing to be doing and building to help your community.

ElleCancun said...

Yes congrats on helping to make this happen!! When I was in Tulum last week I saw all the recycling posts everywhere!!! How sad is it that I am THAT shocked to see recycling in Mexico??!!! Then I can always look at it that it's not sad, but the country is learning!! Great work!

Design by Blogger Templates